Friday, April 24, 2009

Sunday Night Eats at the Bakers St Pub.


Sunday April 19th was the first time that I ever went to the Sunday Night Eats Dinner Club in Boulder. I couldn't believe the massive turn, the pub gave us half of their restaurant.

As I walked up to the restaurant they have the old fashion red phone booth that you would see around the UK. Little did I know that it was going to be the start of many interesting things in the restaurant. Because as soon as I walked in I found the Irish Crest of the restaurant above the entry doors. It had everything from Unicorns to the Fleur de lis. But the coolest thing about the restaurant in my opinion was the sword that was above the tables. It was like the one that Frodo carried in "Lord of the Rings" except it didn't glow when goblins where present, or maybe it does and Bakers St Pub is a safe house from goblins which would be a good thing to know. Anyplace that has a sword gets mad props in my book.

When I got there the pub started to drop appetizers in the middle of the group. They started off with the bread and humus combination. They set it out really nicely, with all of the pita bread around the humus then covered the humus with grated cheese, green onions and red peppers. Not being a really big fan of humus I tentatively tried it, because I didn't think that It was humus when I started. It was actually really good, it didn't taste like a lot of the humus that I have had before, it had a little kick of chipoltle in it. I wasn't the only one that liked it, many of the SNEDC went up for seconds and thirds.

The second appetizer they set out was a bunch of mini summer sausages were in a brown cream sauce. I think that out of all of the appetizers this was my favorite. The sauce was a complement to the sweetness of the sausage. It wasn't the most beautiful dish that I have ever seen and it would never win any beauty pageants but great food never has to. It was kind of funny that they surrounded it by lettuce to bring more color to the plate because without it they just looked like little turds. Once you get past the sight of it and try it there will be an explosion of sausage in your mouth. It is highly recommended.

Unfortunately the last two apps where good but didn't really make the restaurant stand out. Sweet and Sour Chicken and potato skins really do not separate themselves from the rest of the appetizers. They were good but not great, nothing that other restaurants don't have.

I am new to Boulder and really don't know to many people. With all of my travels I have gotten use to eating alone, but it is never as fun as eating in a group. Everyone was really friendly and willing to start up a conversation. You cant really do that when you eat alone because the people at the other table will look at you like you are a weirdo, and that is coming from experience.

When it came down to order people picked many different things on their tasty menu. Some ordered a burger, fish and chips, meat loaf and shepherds pie. I ordered the meat loaf. They really give you a good size potion; two filets of meat that are as big as your hand. They had garlic mash potatoes underneath the meat loaf. I loved the mash because they left some skin and chunks of potatoes in it. To me that is always the best, it adds extra texture to it. They topped it all in gravy and onion rings. I thought it was good but it could have been better. I will give them the benefit of the doubt because I did a lot of talking when it was first served to me so it could have lost some of the flavor as it started to chill down. But I wasn't disappointed in it at all, it is something that I would go back there and have again, and for me that says a lot.

Roland told the table, "They have the greatest fish and chips here," before anyone ordered. So many of the people at the table went with his recommendation. When they brought it out they had 2 huge filets of fish, definitely the biggest fish and chips I have seen. Everyone around me got it and decided to make me jealous; I dont know why but I don't like to order what other people order. The fish looked really good and everyone around me said it tasted really good. I think I should go back there just on others recommendations just to try it, because I love fish and chips.

When everyone was done with dinner they where full, but not the full that oh my god my stomach is going to explode if I don't loosen my pants button. For as big as the plates where it really didn't seem like they took up to much space in the belly. But there was no room for the best part of dinner, desert. The good thing for me about this restaurant is that it makes me want to come back, so next time I could try the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment