Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Two down 13 left

I have finished ,The Road is written by Cormac McCarthy. I started reading this book on a recommendation of my mother who really enjoyed it.

This book is set in post apocalyptic times about a man and a boy. The earth has turned to ash and the people that are remaining are untrustworthy while the father and his boy try to go south to warmer pastures. Their story of survival is an interesting one. They try really hard to stay out of site of anyone by taking rests away from the road and hiding from people that pass by. Pushing a cart with all of their belongings they find it difficult to stay out of sight for too long.

More interesting to me is how it is written. It isn't written like a traditional book, where it has chapters and page after page of text. Everything is written in short simple paragraphs. They give you the point and a brief description without going super far into it. Cause it isn't a story about the end of the world but about a boy and his father. This made the book really quick and easy to read. Cause really there were no stopping points that you can put the book down. It's just paragraph after paragraph with no real stopping point.

One thing I didn't like about the book is that I had to go back on the diaolog and reread it to see who was talking when. You might find this crazy but he doesn't use he said the boy said too often. Which would get me confused. And when they would talk to a new character it made it even harder to follow.

Over all this book is just OK. Not worth making a movie out of it. I really think it is a stretch to make one but I am not hollywood. The writing style itself is the reason to read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment